When people find out what I do for a living, they often ask me for quick tips on how to be healthy. One of the things I stress for everyone over the age of 5 to take daily supplements.
Now before you think you’ll need to buy one of those gigantic days of the week pill boxes, relax, it’s only 3 supplements:
There are over 100 trillion microorganisms in your gut and they contain good bacteria and bad bacteria. The good bacteria actually protect us from the bad bacteria and help us digest our food better. It’s when these good bacteria are low or disturbed in some way that your stomach starts to feel yucky.
Things like a diet that is high in refined sugar, carbs and processed food and even antibiotics cause bad bacteria. With our food supply containing more pesticides, herbicides and genetically modified organisms than ever before, taking a probiotic becomes necessary for most adults and children.
What is a probiotic? A probiotic is a living organism that can be taken in a pill or food form. Food such as yogurt, sauerkraut, and kefir are made with “active live cultures” and “enjoyed as part of a regular diet, they offer plenty of other nutritional benefits“. Probiotics create good “gut flora”, which creates normal gastrointestinal function.
Here are more reasons why it is important to take a probiotic:
- Did you know that 70% of your immune system is linked to your gut? Taking a probiotic makes your gut balanced and ready to tackle germs – this is especially needed in cold and flu season.
- Common stomach issues, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, diarrhea, and other gut inflammations can be avoided if one takes a probiotic.
- Relieve symptoms from Celiac disease and gluten allergies.
- “A healthy gut flora balance helps prevent cancer by nourishing enzymes that inhibit tumor production throughout the body“
- Taking a probiotic can actually boost energy and increase your metabolism.
- Have a colicky baby? This can happen if a nursing mother has too much bad gut bacteria and not enough good. When the soon-to-be mother takes a probiotic, this can ease the baby’s suffering too.
- Reduce your risk of colon cancer.
High Quality Vitamin & Mineral Supplement
It’s no secret that we can no longer get all of the nutrients from our food that our bodies need. This is the reason I recommend to all of my clients that they start off with the highest quality multi-vitamin that they can afford.
I’m not talking about the Flintstone gummies that we grew up on. I’m referring to a plant-based multi-vitamin, mineral and superfood supplement. Look for one that contains essential antioxidant vitamins (such as vitamins A, C, and E) and minerals (like calcium, magnesium and zinc).
Now you know why vitamins are important – they provide
support for our body’s systems and functions and improve our immune system. But why are minerals important? It’s because our soils are so depleted from conventional farming methods, our mineral composition is at its worst.
95% of Americans are deficient in minerals including magnesium, which is responsible for over 300 metabolic functions. Migraines, asthma, restless leg syndrome, ADHD and hypertension are all linked to mineral deficiency. Minerals relax the whole body and decrease stress in the body.
Omega 3’s – DHA and EPA
Ok I lied….I’m really giving you 5 supplements that everyone should be taking.
Omega-3s are a “polyunsaturated fatty acids that are essential nutrients for our health. We need omega-3 fatty acids for numerous normal body functions, such as controlling blood clotting and building cell membranes in the brain.”
Consider this: At least 60 percent of our brain is made up of fatty acids, so doesn’t it make sense that we need them for optimal neurological health? One way to add fatty acids into your diet is through certain fish – salmon, albacore tuna, mackerel, trout, sardines and herring. But most families do not eat enough fish, so for years the recommendation has been to take a fish oil supplement daily to increase omega-3 intake, however now we’re learning that unless your fish oil is pure, which most are not, it may be doing more harm than good.
Instead of shopping for ‘fish oil’, shop for DHA/EPA which is the non-toxic extract from fish oil.
Some fish oil comes from fish that can possibly contain toxins such as:
- Other heavy metals, like arsenic, cadmium and lead
- PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyl)
- Strontium, which is a radioactive substance
Allowing these items in your body can lead to cognitive impairments, nervous system dysfunction, blindness, chronic bronchitis, and the development of certain cancers.
Additional Recommendations for Adults
Here are some more supplements that I recommend every adult take:
- DigestZen TerraZyme – this is a digestive enzyme that is great for making sure your body absorbs all of the nutrients from your food. And because some of the food we eat can be void of necessary enzymes, this product supports the body’s production of enzymes that aid in healthy digestion.
- Alpha CRS+ – the proprietary formula in this supplement aids healthy cell function by reducing oxidative stress to DNA and other cell structors. It also helps boost healthy cellular immune function. Take this to strengthen mental clarity and brain function.
Are you interested in these supplements for your family? We love doTerra because we know that they are free from synthetics and additives and they are in therapeutic doses to have affect on the body. Click here to learn how to get doTerra essential oils & products at 25% off.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.