Can Essential Oils Help With Your Thyroid Condition?
In the base of your neck lies a butterfly-shaped gland that is responsible for producing hormones that regulate your metabolism. Needless to say, the thyroid is a crucial part of your body’s endocrine system.
And there are a few different disorders that can affect the thyroid. Which impacts your hormones and entire endocrine system.
According to the American Thyroid Association, “more than 12% of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime”.
More than 20 million Americans experience some type of thyroid condition. Here are the two common issues and their causes:
- Hypothyroidism – this is when your thyroid is not able to produce enough of the thyroid hormone, which can slow down your metabolism. Symptoms include: fatigue, weight gain, dry hair and skin, hair loss, frequent muscle and joint pain, constipation, irritability, memory loss, or decreased libido.
- Hashimoto’s Disease – this is the most common cause of hypothyroidism where your immune system creates antibodies that attack your thyroid. This is an autoimmune condition that progresses slowly and can cause chronic thyroid damage.
- Hyperthyroidism – is the opposite, so your thyroid makes excess of the hormone. This causes your body’s processes to speed up, so you may experience anxiety, nervousness, rapid heartbeat, sweating, weight loss, and sleep issues.
- Graves’ Disease – an immune system disorder that causes hyperthyroidism. Typically those who suffer from other autoimmune conditions (rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Addison’s disease, celiac disease, or type 1 diabetes) are more likely to develop Graves’.
Essential Oils for Thyroid Support
Essential oils are a natural solutions for many health conditions. When it comes to naturally balancing thyroid hormones and combatting the symptoms of a thyroid condition, these essential oils are recommended:
For under-active thyroid, including hashimoto’s and hypothyroidism:
- Clove – number one for thyroid support, clove contains powerful antioxidant properties. It also supports a healthy metabolism and immune system. If you experience muscle pain, clove is great to calm tense muscles and well as support healthy bones.
- Frankincense – supports healthy immune function and response. Also promotes healthy joints and is calming, and relaxing to the nervous system. It’s also great to soothe dry skin.
- Lemongrass – has been studied for its anti-inflammatory properties. Apply it to your neck if your thyroid seems inflamed or swollen.
- Peppermint – promotes digestive health, which is great to boost your metabolism from an under-active thyroid. Is also great when you’re feeling fatigued or low on energy.
- Myrrh – promotes awareness and uplifts your mood. I also suggest adding a drop to your favorite moisturizer to tackle dry skin. Overall, myrrh supports healthy cellular function and a healthy immune system.
- Cedarwood – apply topically to relieve dry skin. Also, due to its soothing and calming properties, diffusing Cedarwood at the end of the day is a great way to unwind.
- Spearmint – promotes digestion and known for relieving joint pain.
For overactive thyroid, including hyperthyroidism and Graves:
- Lavender – most popular use is to promote relaxation and sleep because it increases feeling of calm and well-being.
- Lemongrass – combine with peppermint oil in a veggie capsule to support healthy gastrointestinal function and maintain healthy digestion.
- Frankincense – for anxiety or nervousness, frankincense is great because it induces feelings of peace and overall wellness.
- Wintergreen – contains methyl salicylate, which is a well-known pain reliever.
- Sandalwood – has been studied for its anti-anxiety properties. Sandalwood is great to diffuser or apply topically to pressure points.
- Myrrh – diffuse myrrh when tension levels are high, it promotes emotional balance and well-being.
Essential Oil Blend For Hypothyroidism:
Combine 15 drops of either peppermint or clove with 15 drops of lemongrass in a 10 ml roller bottle then fill the rest of the way with fractionated coconut oil. Roll on base of throat and reflex points on the feet.
Essential Oil Blend For Hyperthyroidism:
Combine 15 drops of myrrh and 15 drops of lemongrass in a 10 ml roller bottle then fill the rest of the way with fractionated coconut oil. Roll on to base of throat and reflex points on the bottom of the feet.
Other Natural Remedies
Other ways to naturally combat a thyroid condition include detox, supplements, and diet.
- Detox – sweating stimulates the thyroid gland secretion and flushes your system of toxins that could be contributing to your thyroid problem. Vigorous exercise, steam baths or saunas can aid in detoxing. Here is the infrared sauna that I recommend.
- Supplements – here are the supplements that I recommend (and take daily):
- A High Quality Multi-Vitamin/Multi-Mineral: the one I use has a formula that “includes a balanced blend of essential antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E, and an energy complex of B vitamins…Microplex VMz also contains chelated minerals including calcium, magnesium, and zinc for optimal bone and metabolic health. Microplex VMz contains the dōTERRA tummy tamer botanical blend of Peppermint, Ginger, and Caraway to calm the stomach for those who may have experienced stomach upset with other vitamin and mineral products.”
- A Comprehensive Omega 3, 6, 9 Supplement: doTERRA’s xEO® Mega fish oil supplement a unique formula of CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils and a proprietary blend of marine- and land-sourced omega fatty acids. This has amazing health benefits, including support for your heart health and immune system.
- Diet – eat foods including: vegetables, nuts, seaweed, wild-caught fish, eggs, berries, coconut oil, and probiotic-rich foods. Avoid foods like gluten, soy, processed foods, dairy, and sugar.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.