A Healthy Recipe Your Family Will Love
I love to share amazing recipes that I find from other talented bloggers.
One of my favorites, Kibby from Kibby’s Blended Life, has given me permission to share some of her delicious – and healthy – recipes.
I chose this Mexican Veggie Quinoa Recipe because it’s easy, full of nutritious ingredients, and tastes great. Plus “quinoa is one of the best beauty grains (others include millet, amaranth and buckwheat). Quinoa digests easily leaving a slightly alkaline residue in the body. It is very inexpensive, easy to cook and prepare, and makes delicious partners with veggies and salads to add some density to meals.”
Note from Kibby:
It is important to soak quinoa at least eight hours, and preferably overnight. This will help deactivate the enzyme inhibitors that coat all grains (and beans) and will make them even easier to digest. Get in the habit of planning ahead. Soak some quinoa the night before, and make enough to last you for a couple of days or to pack for lunch. I do this and it is a huge time saver and to be able to have fabulous food on the ready to eat or take with you.
Mexican Veggie Quinoa Recipe
- 1-2 tbs. coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 orange bell pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) pack of organic mushrooms
- 1/2 cup frozen organic peas – thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen organic corn – thawed
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes – chopped
- High quality sea salt (adjust to personal taste)
- 3 cloves of garlic – sliced thin
- Fresh cilantro – chopped (I used a large handful, about 1 cup)
- 2-3 TB. lemon or lime juice
- 1 TB. raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Mexican spice blend – to taste ( I used about 1 TB.)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
*Be sure to soak the quinoa overnight in water, and rinse well before using.
- In a saucepan place 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the quinoa to the hot water, and simmer until the water is absorbed and the grains become translucent soft (about 10-15 minutes). Fluff with a fork.
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet pan. Add the diced onions, garlic, and lightly sauté for a few minutes, adding the Celtic sea salt, and black pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers and lightly sauté for 5-6 minutes, until they become softened (but not overcooked).
- Combine all the veggies (including corn, peas, fresh cilantro and sun dried tomatoes, ) along with the cooked quinoa into a large mixing bowl and stir well to incorporate thoroughly. Add Mexican seasoning mix, apple cider vinegar and lemon/lime juice and adjust flavors to your own liking. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes to your own heat level and ENJOY!!
- You can add whatever veggies you like (chopped broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, etc. with different flavorings such as Italian, Indian (turmeric/ curry), and Asian flare (ginger and coconut). Experiment with what your taste buds like. Can mix it up anytime. That’s one of the cool parts of cooking!
Check out my 3 Popular Recipe Programs.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.