Small tweaks to your diet lead to some amazing health benefits
When people hear that I am a health coach, they automatically assume that I don’t eat any “fun” foods. The truth is that I actually believe in the occasional cheat day. I also feel strongly that a few food swaps – switching unhealthy foods with healthier alternatives – can make a big difference.
Here’s a list of 20 simple food swaps that will put you on a fast-track to eating nutritiously…and deliciously!
1. Instead of potato or corn chips, go for organic popcorn (not microwave) sprinkled with nutritional yeast or roasted, salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas).
Why? You still get the salty crunch you’re after while getting lots more nutrients
Why? They’re packed with antioxidants and have a lower glycemic index than their white cousins
3. Instead of conventional apples and celery, go for organic apples and celery.
Why? These crops are the most heavily sprayed with pesticides; avoid conventional at all costs
4. Instead of wheat bread, go for sprouted wheat bread/wraps or gluten-free options.
Why? Unsprouted wheat and gluten are tough for the body to digest
5. Instead of white rice, go for brown rice.
Why? There’s more fiber, more flavor, and it’s less likely to cause a spike in blood sugar
6. Instead of brown rice, go for quinoa or amaranth.
Why? These have more protein than brown rice
7. Instead of canned beans, go for dried beans, soaked.
Why? Most cans contain BPA; soaked beans are easier to digest and you control the salt content
8. Instead of scrambled eggs, go for scrambled non-GMO tofu.
Why? Many people are unknowingly allergic to eggs; here’s a high-protein breakfast alternative
9. Instead of peanuts or peanut butter, go for almonds and almond butter.
Why? Peanuts are heavily sprayed with pesticides and can harbor mold that give off toxins (aflatoxins); peanuts are also slightly acidic whereas almonds are slightly alkaline
10. Instead of conventional beef, go for grass-fed beef.
Why? When the ratio of omega-6 fats to omega-3 fats is more than 4:1, people have more health problems. Grain-fed beef’s ratio is 20:1; grass-fed beef’s ratio is 3:1
Why? Farmed salmon has less omega-3 per ounce, 16 times the toxins of wild, and a bunch of weird additives
12. Instead of commercial salad dressing, go for extra-virgin olive oil + sea salt + fresh cracked black pepper.
Why? Commercial dressing contains all kinds of additives not found in nature; best to stay away
13. Instead of soy sauce, go for wheat-free tamari.
Why? It’s a kinder, gentler, slightly less salty soy sauce; no gluten means it’s easier to digest
14. Instead of table salt, go for Celtic or Himalayan sea salt or Herbamare.
Why? It’s not stripped of natural trace minerals magnesium and calcium; Herbamare includes fresh herbs so a little packs a flavorful punch
15. Instead of sugar, go for brown rice syrup, raw honey, or natural stevia plant.
Why? Evil on so many levels, refined sugar has been robbed of all beneficial nutrients the original sugar cane or beet contains. It also lacks chromium which is a chemical needed to maintain healthy blood sugar levels; all-natural options are always the better choice!
16. Instead of canola oil, go for coconut oil.
Why? It remains stable during high-heat cooking making it ideal for baking and cooking
17. Instead of cow’s milk, go for unsweetened rice, almond, or hemp milk.
Why? Many people are unknowingly allergic to cow’s milk; the alternatives are not phlegm-inducing
18. Instead of coffee, go for Teechino.
Why? This caffeine-free alternative that’s a blend of herbs, grains, fruits, and nuts brews up like coffee and has a similar aroma and taste. You get a boost from the nutrients, not stimulants
19. Instead of soda, go for kombucha.
Why? This fermented drink is slightly sweet but low in carbs and loaded with probiotics that help to enhance the good bacteria in your gut
20. Instead of tap water, go for filtered or spring water.
Why? Filtered water takes out a portion of the contaminants in tap water, but not all; your best bet is to try to drink natural spring water filtered from Mother Nature!
***BONUS FOOD SWAP***
This is a big one—instead of eating out, eat in! You’ll realize the best health benefits of all if you make that one change.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.