This is all about creating amazing, fun DIY gifts using essential oils. If you are new to essential oils, then let me fill you in. Essential oils are plant-based compounds used for health benefits. They are not trendy, in fact, they’ve been around for thousands of years.
They can be used topically, aromatically and many can be taken internally as a supplement.
Today I will cover: scrubs, lip balms, lotions, soaps/bath gifts, and party items.
Candy Cane Sugar Scrub
This is the perfect gift to create a fun and festive Christmas. The recipe is really simple and most people have all of the ingredients at their disposal, especially once you get your Peppermint oil which has many health benefits.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 12 drops Peppermint essential oil
- Skin safe food coloring
Tip: In place of white sugar, you could use sea salt. In place of Fractionated Coconut oil you could use almond oil, grapeseed oil or olive oil.
- Combine sugar and Fractionated Coconut Oil in bowl.
- Divide mixture equally into two bowls.
- In one bowl, add red skin safe food coloring.
- Layer red and white scrub to create a ‘candy cane’ effect.
*The benefits of Peppermint essential oil extend far beyond making a sugar scrub…
Here are some of the top reasons why people love this essential oil:
- Promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing
- Promotes digestive health
- Repels bugs naturally
- It provides natural energy. I add a drop to my water each morning and it’s better than coffee!
Coconut Salt Scrub
This recipe calls for 15 drops of your favorite essential oil or oils.
- 1 cup organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup Pink Himalayan (or Epsom) salt
- 1/4 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 15 drops of your favorite essential oil(s)
- Melt coconut oil in microwave or over double boiler.
- Once melted, remove from heat.
- Add Fractionated Coconut Oil and Pink Himalayan Salt to melted coconut oil.
- Stir until combined.
- Add essential oils.
- Let sit until coconut oil solidifies, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Stir until well combined and store in an airtight container.
- To use, rub on skin and rinse with warm water.
Tip: Put in refrigerator to speed up the cooling process.
This lotion is really special for anyone suffering with rough, scaly, dry “sandpaper” feet! This whipped peppermint lotion can be used anywhere on your body and it is recommended to apply a generous amount to your feet with socks before going to sleep.
- 1 teaspoon beeswax
- 2 tablespoons cocoa butter
- 4 tablespoons shea butter
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 5 drops Peppermint essential oil (NOTE: Peppermint oil has a lot of health uses from headaches, to digestive, to being a natural stimulant without side effects. It also helps bring down a fever)
- 5 drops Melaleuca essential oil
- In small glass container, combine all ingredients except essential oils.
- Place in saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of boiling water.
- Stir ingredients until combined (around 5-10 minutes).
- Once melted, remove from heat and let rest 3 minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir.
- Let mixture come to a solid. To quicken process, place in refrigerator.
- Once solid, use an electric mixer to whip lotion.
- Gradually come to high speed and whip for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Place in a container. To use, rub on heels to help soften and soothe them.
Warm Body Butter
If you are a fan of apple pie then this is the PERFECT DIY product for you – and you should definitely gift it! Many people suffer from cold hands and feet and this lotion is in a league of its own when it comes to support.
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sweet almond oil
- 8 drops of Sandalwood (NOTE: Sandalwood oil helps support healthy testosterone levels for men and women)
- 8 drops of Cassia
- 5 drops of Cypress (NOTE: Cypress oil supports healthy circulation and is an antibacterial oil)
- 5 drops of Juniper Berry (NOTE: Juniper Berry oil can also address kidney infections and stones)
- Melt the shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil and almond oil in a double boiler.
- Let the mixture set. (You can even place it in the fridge to speed up the process.) Let it sit at room temperature to soften the mixture if needed.
- Add essential oils and whip it up with a hand blender or KitchenAid stand mixer.
Rosemary Spearmint Soap
- Olive oil melt-and-pour soap base
- Silicone mold
- 15 drops Spearmint essential oil
- 15 drops Rosemary essential oil
- Optional: dried herbs
Disclaimer: I highly recommend only using dried herbs. The fresh herbs (although beautiful) turn the soap brown after a few days.
- Cut off the amount of soap base you want to use and place it into a microwave safe bowl.
- Melt the soap into liquid form in increments of 30 seconds.
- Add a handful of dried herbs to the soap mold.
- Add Spearmint and Rosemary essential oils.
- Mix together and pour into molds.
- Let it sit for an hour.
- Remove the soap from the mold.
(The soap should last for a few months.)
Hand Cleansing Gel
And the bonus is that It is really easy to make:
- 5 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 8-10 drops On Guard Protective Blend
- Small Squeeze Container
Note: Always store products with essential oils in glass containers.
- Combine aloe vera gel and vitamin E oil in a bowl.
- Add 8-10 drops On Guard Protective Blend to aloe vera mixture.
- Add water and mix well to combine. Add more or less water depending on the consistency you want.
- Pour into container.
- Place your homemade hand cleanser in your bag, car, or office for an effective, alcohol-free hand cleanser.
Epsom Salt Bath
This is the easiest DIY recipe I will share and it is really a MUST for all of us! Having proper rest and relaxation is important for our overall health and quality of life. I am a huge advocate of epsom salt baths and when you add your favorite essential oils – it elevates the entire experience!
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- 10 drops favorite doTERRA® essential oil(s)
- Add essential oil(s) to Epsom salt and stir together.
- Draw a warm bath and add 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to bath.
The problem is that most commercial bubble baths are full of artificial chemicals and fragrances that are often irritating to the skin. The beauty of this recipe is that it is gentle on your skin, fully customizable, and HEALTHY!
- 1 cup unscented castile soap
- 1/2 cup vegetable glycerin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 15 drops of your favorite essential oil(s)
Use Lavender or Serenity for relaxing benefits or Citrus Bliss or Peppermint to help wake you up.
Note: Castile soap and vegetable glycerin can be purchased at your local health food store.
- Combine castile soap, glycerin, and water into glass bowl.
- Add essential oils.
- Stir until well combined.
- Pour into glass container. To use, add 1/4-1/2 cup of bubble bath mixture to warm, running bath water.
Note: These bubbles are not going to provide big fluffy bubbles that last a long time since it doesn’t contain the synthetic ingredients that make them. However, this chemical-free bath will provide enough bubbles for a relaxing and therapeutic bath you will still enjoy.
Holiday Room Spray
This particular room spray smells INCREDIBLE. At first there’s a top note of Grapefruit, mingled with just a hint of Frankincense.
The Douglas Fir lends an apple scent and after being in the air for a little while the Grapefruit fades to reveal a heartier base note of apple, pine, and a spicy, earthy resin from the Frankincense. You can’t help but be in a good mood when you’ve got this in the air.
- Grab your Frankincense, Douglas Fir, and Grapefruit essential oil.
- In glass spray bottle add water, 15 drops each of Frankincense and Grapefruit, and 30 drops of Douglas Fir.
- Shake the bottle of spray.
- Put on a jolly holiday song and spritz the room to the beat of merriment!
Note: Depending on the size of your spray bottle, you may wish to use more or less, but make sure to keep the ratio of twice the amount of Douglas Fir to equal parts Frankincense and Grapefruit.