Can Your Personal Care Products Make You Sick?
Most of us are aware that in order to lead a healthy life we need to not smoke, eat more veggies and exercise regularly.
But did you know despite your best efforts, you could still be sabotaging your family’s health by using toxic personal care products?
Hot flashes, allergies, eczema, hormone dysfunction, infertility problems, immune disorders and even cancer could be due to the body care products that your family is using.
I found this out the hard way. Three miscarriages and a very sick son drove me to the brink of desperation to uncover the answer to my question ‘Why us?”. The truth is…I had no idea how toxic the food and products were that my family was ingesting every day.
Protect Your Largest Organ
Did you know that your skin is your largest organ? Everything you put on your skin goes directly into your bloodstream which affects your cells…and your health.
Surveys show that an average woman uses 12 products containing 168 ingredients every day, men use 6 products with 85 ingredients and children are exposed to an average of 61 ingredients daily.
Current cosmetics laws in the U.S. date back to 1938. Loopholes in U.S. federal law allow the cosmetics industry to put unlimited amounts of chemical into personal care products with no required testing or monitoring of health effects.
Here are a few toxic ingredients to be on the look out for.
1. Parabens – A preservative linked to breast cancer, hormone disruption, allergic reactions and infertility. Found in shampoos, moisturizers, shaving gels, personal lubricants, spray tanning solutions, makeup and toothpaste.
2. Phthalates – Used as a solubilizer, known as a hormone disrupter and to cause reproductive and neurological damage. Think: learning disorders for kids. Found in anything with artificial fragrance including deodorant, shampoos, soaps, detergents, nail polish, hair spray, lotion, body sprays.
3. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (labeled as SLS and SLES) – Detergents that damage the skin’s immune system by causing the layers to separate inflame and age…allowing 40% more toxins to enter the body through the skin. It builds up in the brain, heart, liver and lungs. Found in 90% of personal care products that foam.
What Should You Do?
- Check out the Environmental Working Group’s website for product specific information.
- Buy the highest quality personal care products you can afford. Just like food, if you can afford organic then that’s the gold standard. If not, then look for ingredients that you understand.
- Find brands you can trust. Click here to see the items I’ve purchased for my family on Amazon. I’m also a huge fan of products from dōTERRA. Here are some of the things I use daily:
- Natural Deodorant – features Balance essential oil blend, baking soda, and arrowroot for long-lasting freshness and all-day confidence
- Protecting Shampoo and Soothing Conditioner – a hair-boosting duo that works to protect your scalp and hair while enriching it with essential oils
- SPA Hand and Body Lotion – fragrance free natural lotion that smooths and softens skin while blending with essential oils
- Essential Skin Care Kit – contains face cleaner, scrub, pore reducing toner, tightening serum, brightening gel, ant-aging eye cream and moisturizer, and hydrating cream
- Natural Whitening Toothpaste – all natural and fluoride free
Click here to add all of these products to your dōTERRA shopping cart.
When you add any or all of these products to your dōTERRA shopping cart, the $35 wholesale membership, plus booklet will be added. When you work with me, you will also receive:
If you have questions, email me Leann@GroovyBeets.com
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.