Have you tried natural solutions to help your child focus?
Did you know that in the United States, many children and adults struggle to focus? This can be a problem at work, school, and in everyday life.
Medication seems to be the route that many parents choose for their children, but besides the fact that many medications for attention and focus are Schedule II drugs, they are also highly addictive.
As with any medication, side effects are also a big concern. Long-term side effects of taking stimulant medication include:
- Damage to the brain, especially blood vessels
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Slurred speech
- Liver & kidney damage
- Slowing of growth in children
- Eyesight changes or blurred vision
- Psychological dependence
Essential Oils and Focus/Attention Support
Essential oils are plant-based therapeutic compounds that can be used in many ways. They are small enough molecularly to cross the blood-brain barrier which make them an excellent choice to support learning, focus and overall brain health.
Here are the essential oils I recommend to anyone dealing with focus issues:
- Vetiver – this oil promotes deep concentration. A study by Dr. Terry Friedman showed vetiver oil was able to increase performance levels by 100%! The study also showed that vetiver, along with cedarwood, is very effective in improving focus and calming down children.
- Cedarwood – shown to improve focus and clear thinking.
- Rosemary – has been linked to improved memory and brain function.
- Ylang Ylang / Lavender – creates a calmer mind and more relaxed state.
- Sandalwood (both Hawaiian and Indian) – believed to relax, calm, and improve mental clarity.
- Frankincense – induces feelings of mental peace and calm
- Patchouli – the heavy odor helps control anxious feelings or fight sad feelings. Also shown to sooth the nervous system.
My Favorite Diffuser Blends
- Diffuse 2 drops of cedarwood and 3 drops of vetiver at homework time or in the office.
- Diffuse 5 drops of ylang ylang or lavendar at bedtime for calmness and rest.
My favorite roller bottle blend: Focus and Calm – Use a roller bottle with 10 drops of vetiver, 8 drops of cedarwood, 8 drops rosemary (then fill rest up with fractionated coconut oil) and swipe on the back of the neck or on the wrists when headed off to school or work. Click here to purchase all of these items and get your wholesale account.
Solving this problem naturally takes a multi-faceted approach. A proactive parent should look at nutrient deficiencies, food sensitivities and toxicities in the child while incorporating natural tools such as essential oils.
Want more? Check out my video on Essential Oils and Kids here where you will learn how to make essential oils roller bottle blends for:
- First aid
- Teacher’s gifts
- and more!
Be sure to watch the whole thing so you’ll even learn about my super special ‘Candy Store’ essential oil blend that your kids will LOVE (without the sugar of course).
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.