Use These to Naturally Ease Asthma Symptoms
When my son was 2 years old, he was diagnosed with chronic asthma. He would catch every virus that existed and was sick about every three weeks.
If 3 weeks had gone by and he hadn’t been sick, I knew it was a matter of days.
It made me so sad to see him suffer, that I started doing my own research into alternative options and that’s when I found out about magnesium and, eventually, essential oils.
What is Magnesium?
Magnesium is a natural bronchilator that opens up the bronchial airways.
Did you know that approximately 85% of Americans are deficient in magnesium? Magnesium deficiency can show up in many different ways from restless leg syndrome, to constipation to asthma. It’s an essential mineral that helps to regulate hundred’s of biochemical reactions occurring constantly within our cells.
Adults who are deficient in magnesium usually have elevated inflammation markers. Inflammation, in turn, has been associated with major diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and some types of cancers. Also low magnesium tends to be a risk factor for some types of osteoporosis.
Some health conditions that can benefit from therapeutic doses of magnesium are:
- Psoriasis, Acne, Eczema
- Blood Pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
You can get magnesium from many foods, although most people still do not get as much as they should from their diet. Rich sources of magnesium include legumes, wheat bran, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, pumpkin and squash seeds, pine nuts, black walnuts. and dark green leafy vegetables.
If you have a picky eater like I do, you can sprinkle 200mg into applesauce to ease any asthma symptoms. Be sure to check with your healthcare provider before giving your child magnesium supplements or changing medications.
Essential Oils and Asthma
Essential oils are therapeutic compounds that when used topically and aromatically can be beneficial to ease asthma symptoms.
- Eucalyptus – known for helping to open up airways, eucalyptus contains the active component, citronellal, which has analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects (source).
- Frankincense – reduces inflammation in the airways. It will also decrease mucus and relieve tightness in the chest, promoting normal, healthy breathing (source).
- Peppermint – has the ability to cleanse the lungs and open up the bronchial passages.
- Thyme – has antiseptic and antibacterial properties to purify the lungs for healthier respiratory function.
- Respiratory blend – as the name suggests, this is a proprietary blend that creates feelings of clear, easy breathing.
- Oregano – has antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-stimulating effects making it a choice in preventing asthma exacerbations related to a respiratory illness.
- Lavender – since asthma can be exacerbated by stress and anxiety, lavender oil is recommended to help calm your mind and body.
Choose your favorite oil and diffuse into the air in your home. You can also add 2-3 drops to 1 tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil and massage onto chest, shoulders, and back.
Please note: essential oils are are never to be used in a nebulizer.
When you work with me, you will receive:
If you have questions, or you’re ready to get started with certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils, email me Leann@GroovyBeets.com to set up your free consult.