My favorite essential oils & how to use them
It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of essential oils.
I firmly believe that they have amazing powers as plant-based medicine. And anything that can naturally keep my family healthy, I’m all for.
I would never consider using just any essential oil for my family – only certified pure therapeutic grade (CPTG) oils and you can read why here.
If you have been interested in trying essential oils, but afraid that you wouldn’t know what to do with them, here are 110 ways you can use the top 10 essential oils:
- Add 1-3 drops to your drinking water to assist in detoxing your lymphatic system.
- Make a DIY all-purpose cleaning solution with 10 drops of lemon, 10 drops of melaleuca and 10 drops of OnGuard.
- Whiten your teeth by combining lemon essential oil, coconut oil and fresh strawberries, then rub on your teeth. Rinse after two minutes.
- Add 5 drops to a diffuser to detoxify your indoor air.
- Help your kids stay focused by diffusing a few drops of lemon oil with peppermint oil.
- Want your cut fruit to stay fresh? Spraying it with some lemon oil.
- Soak your smelly kitchen towels in a few drops of lemon oil and warm water before you wash them.
- Make your own natural acne face wash with lemon oil, baking soda and honey.
- Make a DIY Goo-Be-Gone with 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 5 drops lemon oil and 1 cup of water.
- Accelerate weight loss by adding 2 drops of lemon oil to your water three times per day (will support metabolism).
- Mix lemon oil with peppermint and eucalyptus oil to repel ants and other insects.
- Enjoy this rosemary lemon hummus recipe.
- Make your own shampoo to remove dandruff and soothe a dry, flaky scalp. Add some drops of melaleuca oil with aloe vera gel and coconut milk.
- Clean your bathroom – especially the toilet – by combining 10 drops melaleuca oil, 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup vinegar.
- For a gentle face mask, mix 5 drops melaleuca oil with 2 teaspoons of raw honey. Rub on your face and leave for one minute before you rinse off.
- Make your own baby wipes by cutting a paper towel roll in half, place in a storage container with 2 cups of warm water, 2 tablespoons fractionated coconut oil, 3 drops of melaleuca oil, and 3 drops of lavender oil. After liquid is absorbed, remove the center cardboard roll and pull wipes from the center.
- Boost immune system by rubbing 1-2 drops of melaleuca oil, and 1 tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil onto back, arms and feet.
- Treat blemishes, since melaleuca oil has been found to be just as effective as benzoyl peroxide.
- Make your own natural bug spray – mix a base oil (jojoba, olive, almond or coconut oil), and add a few drops of melaleuca oil, 1/2 oz. of citronella, 1/4 oz. of lavender oil and 1/8 oz. of pennyroyal oil to the mix for increased potency. Shake your oil mixture with 16 oz. of vodka in a spray bottle for a convenient, all-natural bug spray.
- To treat eczema or psoriasis, combine 5 drops melaleuca oil with 1 teaspoon coconut oil, and 5 drops of lavender oil.
- Need to remove permanent marker from your skin? Melaleuca oil is great for that, add a few drops to a cotton ball and wipe away.
- Make your own natural deodorant with melaleuca oil, baking soda, and shea butter. Get the recipe over at Wellness Mama.
- A natural choice for toenail fungus, athlete’s foot and ringworm. Put tea tree oil undiluted on the affected area using a clean cotton swab.
- Musty smells in your washing machine? Add a few drops of melaleuca oil to your laundry.
- Get over a cold or sinus infection faster by putting a few drops of oregano oil in a pot of steaming water, and then inhale the steam.
- Treat gingivitis by mixing oregano oil and coconut oil for oil pulling.
- Boost immunity when you take a veggie capsule of 1-2 drops of oregano oil and coconut oil.
- Combine four drops of oregano oil with 10 drops of lemon oil and a quarter-cup of white vinegar, and then add to a bucket of water. Use this mixture to wipe and clean surfaces (from Dr. Mercola).
- Instead of taking antibiotics, take a capsule of 50mg of oregano oil. It won’t hurt your digestion and you won’t develop an antibiotic resistance.
- If you have issues with SIBO or heartburn, a little oregano oil is a popular treatment for bacterial overgrowth. Take in a capsule or dilute with a carrier oil (1:1 ratio) and place a few drops under your tongue.
- A natural remedy for irregular and uncomfortable menstrual cycle. Rub a mixture of 2-3 drops of oregano oil and a teaspoon of coconut oil on your lower abdomen.
- The main ingredient of oregano oil, carvacrol, is associated with weight loss and decreasing cholesterol levels.
- Ease your sore throat by adding a few drops of oregano oil to a glass of water.
- Diffuse some oregano oil to boost your mood, and reduce stress.
- Feel a chill? Place 1 drop of oregano oil into some fractionated coconut oil and rub on hands and feet to warm up.
- Add a drop to your favorite tomato sauce or veggie dip for a blast of flavor.
- Soothe muscle pain, including headaches by massaging this homemade muscle rub by Dr. Axe on the infected area.
- For achy joints, add some peppermint oil to your bath.
- Stay cool on a hot summer day with a spray bottle of water with a few drops of peppermint oil.
- To ease digestive discomfort, rub some peppermint oil on your stomach.
- Diffuse peppermint oil or simply take a whiff to perk yourself up during a long day. It can also improve concentration.
- Feeling nauseous? You can diffuse peppermint oil, but you can also rub 1-2 drops combined with coconut oil behind your ears.
- For stronger motion sickness, it’s recommended that you apply 1 drop of peppermint oil to each of your wrists.
- Add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil to your favorite shampoo to stimulate your scalp.
- Enjoy this hot cocoa recipe using peppermint oil.
- Peppermint oil combined with lavender oil can be applied to the skin to get rid of an itch.
- Apply peppermint oil mixed with coconut oil to your neck and bottom of feet to reduce a fever.
- Add a drop while baking, especially if you’re making chocolate brownies or cake.
- Diffusing peppermint while eating can control your appetite and make you feel full faster.
- Trouble sleeping? Lavender is the most popular oil to assist with falling asleep faster. Diffuse in your bedroom every night. You can also rub on the bottom of your feet or add a drop on your pillow.
- Add 4-5 drops of lavender to your favorite vinegar cleaning solution for a lovely scent. Here is my recipe for a DIY glass cleaner.
- Support your nervous system by diffusing, or inhaling some peppermint oil. You can also add a drop to your temples or back of neck.
- For burn relief or to heal a wound, mix 3-5 drops lavender oil with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil and apply to area.
- If you don’t like the smell of your laundry detergent, you can add a few drops of lavender oil.
- Sprinkle 1 cup baking soda with 10 drops lavender oil all over your mattress, leave for 1 hour and then vacuum up.
- Put a drop of lavender oil on a bee sting or insect bite to reduce swelling and itching.
- Make a homemade lavender lip balm with the recipe.
- To stop a nosebleed, put a drop of lavender oil on a tissue and wrap it around a small chip of ice. Push the tissue covered ice chip up under the middle of the top lip to the base of the nose and hold as long as comfortable or until the bleeding stops (do not freeze the lip or gum) (source).
- Due to its anti-bacterial properties, lavender oil can be used as a face cleaner and to clear up acne. Here is a DIY acne face wash recipe.
- Drink tea with a drop of lavender oil to help improve digestion.
- Calm your home by diffusing some lavender oil. Also helps when you’re trying to unwind from a long day.
- Make this DIY room spray from doTERRA, not only will your home smell nice, but it can help enhance your mood
- Apply 1-2 drops frankincense to your temples or back of your neck to improve your concentration.
- Boost your immune system and prevent illness by diffusing frankincense.
- Frankincense is an antiseptic and disinfectant, so add a few drops to your all-purpose cleaner. Or make your own with this recipe.
- Get rid of razor burn or bumps with 5 drops frankincense, 1/2 cup fractionated coconut oil, and 1/4 cup rosewater.
- Dilute a drop of frankincense in your favorite herbal tea (you can also add 1 teaspoon of honey) to maintain overall health.
- Fight signs of aging by dabbing 1 drop frankincense along with a carrier oil on your skin.
- Frankincense promotes healthy cellular proliferation, so I recommend taking 1-2 drops in a veggie capsule to support your body’s cells.
- Apply a few drops of frankincense to a hot compress after a vigorous workout to soothe sore muscles.
- In the winter months, add a few drops to your favorite hand moisturizer to eliminate the dryness.
- If you experience any sort of anxiety, I advise combining frankincense, peppermint and wild orange oils. Simply inhale this mixture or diffuse.
- Why not give this DIY toilet spray cleaner by Sally Organics a try? Make sure you use an amber glass bottle.
- With its cooling properties, Deep Blue is awesome to apply before exercise.
- Also great for children who are going through growth spurts, it can help ease their aches.
- Rub Deep Blue on your fingers, wrists, shoulders and neck after a long day of working on the computer.
- Promote joint and bone health with a few drops of Deep Blue, which contains blue tansy and Helichrysum.
- Apply a warm compress with Deep Blue after you extend yourself during a workout.
- Muscles need vitamins too, with all of the properties in Deep Blue (Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile, and Osmanthus), your muscles will thank you.
- Rub some Deep Blue on your lower back after you’ve lifted some heavy items.
- Rub some Digestzen on your child’s stomach when they have a stomach ache.
- Support a healthy digestive system by adding a drop of Digestzen to 4oz of water.
- If you’re experiencing bloating, take a veggie capsule of Digestzen.
- Do you get a little nervous while flying? Digestzen can create a calming aroma.
- Diffuse some Digestzen in your home to calm everyone’s stomach.
- If you know you’re going to eat some food that’s not so good for you, like at the state fair, a veggie capsule with a few drop of Digestzen will do the trick.
- Are you into trying exotic foods? Sometimes your stomach needs a little help. Use Digestzen to soothe an upset stomach.
- Keep your home clean and germ free with this room spray.
- Diffuse some OnGuard in your home to prevent illness from spreading.
- Mix some OnGuard with lemon oil, and honey. Take a teaspoon to soothe a sore throat.
- Put a few drops on your car’s cabin air filter to keep the air in your car fresh.
- Add 2-3 drops of OnGuard to a veggie capsule to boost your immunity.
- Soak apple slices in water and a few drops of OnGuard for a healthy snack.
- Combine a few drops of OnGuard and fractionated coconut oil for a natural hand cleanser.
- Enjoy this OnGuard Pancake essential oil recipe from doTERRA.
- Cleanse and purify the air in your home by diffusing OnGuard.
- After any dental work, you can swish around some OnGuard to treat your irritated gums.
- Rub some OnGuard (mixed with a carrier oil) on your children’s feet to keep them healthy during cold and flu season.
- Put some OnGuard in a spray bottle with water, spray your doorknobs, hand railings and light switches to kill germs.
- Make a smoothie with this OnGuard Pumpkin Smoothie recipe.
- Maintain clear airways by rubbing Breathe on your chest and inhale deeply.
- Diffuse Breathe in your home to keep everyone healthy.
- For a restful night’s sleep, diffuse Breathe or blend in a roller bottle with a carrier oil and apply before bed.
- The blend of Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara, and Ravensara helps protect against seasonal allergies.
- Does someone you know use a CPAP machine for their sleep apnea? Place a drop of Breathe in the machine for even more support.
- Place a few drops on your child’s pillow, this will allow for them to fall asleep faster while promoting lung health.
- Rub a drop on your chest or under your nose if you’re in a musty home or building.
- Use with Wintergreen essential oil in hot water and place a damp towel over your head and inhale.
- Apply a blend of Breathe and a carrier oil on your next flight to avoid the stagnant air.
- Diffuse Breathe in the office to improve concentration.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
As always, be sure to consult a qualified practitioner or certified essential oils coach on how to use essential oils safely and effectively for your health. Information from Leann is only a guide and be sure to discontinue use if any adverse reactions occur and consult your physician immediately. Please take special caution using oils in conjunction with medications, during pregnancy, and with children under 6. Leann is happy to provide a free 15 minute phone consult that you can schedule here: http://ow.ly/x3mA30ge1xu.